Janaza Funeral Services
Death is a very painful and emotional time, yet one that may be filled with hope and mercy. Muslims believe that death is a departure from the life of this world, but not the end of a person's existence. Rather, eternal life is to come, and we pray for ALLAH's mercy to be with the departed, in hopes that they may find peace and happiness in the life to come.
When a Muslim is near death, those around him or her are called upon to give comfort, and reminders of ALLAH's mercy and forgiveness. They may recite verses from the Qur'an, give physical comfort, and encourage the dying one to recite words of remembrance and prayer. It is recommended, if at all possible, for a Muslim's last words to be the declaration of faith: "I bear witness that there is no god but ALLAH and MUHAMMAD is His (last) Prophet."
What should I do if the need arises?
You may contact the SLIFO Janaza Committee :
- Br. Adam Jahankeer 416.885.1806
- Br. Zubair Mahamood 416.438.4688
- Br. Imtiaz Jaleel 647.292.0196
- Br. Nisthar Jalaldeen 416.438.5876
You may call one of the following Masjids for funeral arrangement :
- Islamic Foundation of Toronto (Nugget) - 416.876.3000 or 416.321.0909
- Madina Masjid 416.465.7833 or Moulana Siraj (416.830.9406)
- Jame Abu Bakr Siddique 416.931.2253 or Brother Arif Patel 416.409.9149
Funeral Services through above mosques include:
- Release of Body
- Transportation of Body to Masjid
- Preparation for Burial
- Coffin (Box) and Kafan (Shroud)
- Cold Storage
- Registration of Death
- Securing Burial Permit
- Transportation to the Cemetery
- Full Burial
- Same day burial is possible, if requested prior to 9AM
- Monday to Saturday - regular services
- Sunday and holidays - the cemetery imposes additional charges
The entire process takes time and we suggest that one of the above mentioned masjids be contacted in advance in instances where death is expected.
Non-Muslim friends are welcome in the above mentioned mosques for funeral services; however, the proper dress code is expected.
The purchasing of a Muslim gravesite at Pine Ridge Memorial Gardens in Pickering-Ajax and other necessary arrangements can also be arranged by the above organizations.
Additional services available to you from Sri-Lanka Islamic Foundation of Ontario :
Salatul Janaza (Prayer for the deceased)
The Salatul Janaza can be performed at Masjid Al Jannah. There are separate prayer areas for brothers and sisters.
Death announcement to the community can be arranged through SLIFO's outbound email system & Universal telephone message system. All community members who are registered to receive email and or Voice message communications from SLIFO will receive a message notifying them of the Janaza
Financial Assistance - Reba-free Loan
Financial assistance in the form of Reba-free loan can be arranged through the Sri- Lanka Islamic Foundation (SLIFO) for funeral service-Please contact the office at 647.342.7544 for further details